Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Art of a Good Newsletter

Sending a newsletter on a regular basis is essential. However, you must pay attention to quality, content and design if you want people to come back for more.

1. Spend time figuring out what you want YOUR newsletter to look like and say.

2. Identify your audience(s).

3. Develop subject line(s) that appeal to your audience(s).

4. If you have no news to report, create it or use your newsletter to promote a colleague's achievement.

5. Be sure to include social networking.

Today, I received a newsletter from DJ Stylez that I'd like to share as an example.






BSM Notes:

-It includes a lot of information: events, news, downloads, etc. but is not overwhelming and easy to scan

-It includes a space for sponsors (making it an asset not just a means of communication)

-Small amount of text with links to read more information.

-Has a forward to a friend feature

-They created their own news with the Power 106 protest.

-It does NOT have a "follow me on social networking" instruction

-The subject line doesn't really do it justice - it simply says "Brand New Jay-Z Remix" which can only really appeal to a singular audience, I almost erased it but glad I didn't because the Power 106 protest was worth the read.

-It's NOT hosted anywhere externally so I can't give you a link to read the newsletter in it's entirety. It's a good idea to host the newsletter in your blog.

-Bottom line is 1. Now I know how DJ Stylez is and 2. I'll read future communication from him

No comments: